I hope everyone had a fab weekend – mine was filled with dyeing, blocking and travelling. It was fun, and I have loads to write about. I’m going to tackle the blocking first, as this was the least time-consuming part of my activities, so I’m not too tired of it to think about it! Does that make sense? Ah well.
I have blocked before – I knitted a shrug that was waaaay too small for me, and blocked it on an ironing board. The pins caused injury to me and TJB, my house-mate at the time, and the second shrug that was due this treatment is still sitting in the ‘to-do’ pile – three years later.
A thread on Ravelry made me think of the love I have of blocked objects, and I set about ‘take two’ of the blocking learning process.
Blocking the Dragonfly Jumper
I finished knitting the Dragonfly Jumper, and was ready for weaving in the ends on Saturday. I did this while sitting and watching a thriller, which sent me to bed all frazzled and unable to concentrate on the sewing. As a result, I spent much of Sunday morning sewing in ends as well.
I then started panicking about blocking, and searched the internet for tutorials. Knitting Daily prevailed, and I gathered all my information before I started. The jumper is primarily 2 x 2 rib stitch, and I was concerned that, despite the fact that the pattern specifically said to block it, if I did block it I would end up with an inelastic mess. I was assured that as long as I pinned it loosely this wouldn’t happen.
I set the jumper into a tub of lukewarm water to soak, and I went to Bromley to pick up a table. I went to Hobbycraft on my way back from the table-retrieval to see if I could purchase any blocking boards, but I failed spectacularly and came home empty handed (aside from a brand new sewing machine). Luckily, JS was away for the weekend, so I had no guilt using our bed as my blocking board.
Pinning was nerve-racking. I discovered that a lot of my needles are very blunt, and were making holes in the sheets on our bed, so I had to proceed carefully. Eventually I was done, and the jumper sat for eight or nine hours to dry in the sun streaming in from the window.
I removed the pins late last night and it seems to have stretched out the cabling nicely. Now I have to sew it up and knit the cowl-neck, although I’m wondering if I will do this. I’ll keep you updated!